Biology A level AQA
Course entry requirements: Science Grade 6-6 or GCSE Biology Grade 6
The course is taught over two years. The exams at the end of the second year make up 100% of the A-Level grade and can cover any topic of the full two years. There is no coursework now, but there is a separate qualification for the practical endorsement. Developing practical skills is an integral part of the course and they are used to make sure students are confident with the techniques and understanding of the Biology. The course is broken up into 8 teaching units across 2 years. The units studied are:
What are we studying?
WHAT ARE WE STUDYING
- Module 1 – Biological Molecules
- Module 2 – Cells
- Module 3 – Organisms exchange substances with the environment
- Module 4 – Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
WHAT ARE WE STUDYING
- Module 5 – Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Module 6 – Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
- Module 7 – Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- Module 8 – The control of gene expression
COURSE DETAILS AND ASSESSMENT INFORMATION:
- Paper 1 – 90 minute exam – 50% of AS Level
- Paper 2 – 90 minute exam – 50% of AS Level
- Paper 1 – 2 hours – 35% of total A-Level
- Paper 2 – 2 hours – 35% of total A-Level
- Paper 3 – 2 hours – 30% of total A-Level
Practical Endorsement in Biology. Non-examined, assessed throughout the A-Level based on experiments.
WHERE CAN THIS COURSE TAKE ME?
Biology A-level is adaptable and can suit a variety of subjects. When looking at higher education Biology offers a huge variety of options from medicine to zoology and can be a good route into many careers. Below are some of the destinations of our previous students.
- Biological and Forensic Science
- Veterinary Science, Royal School of Veterinary Science
- Biochemistry and Genome Science, Portsmouth University
- Medicine, University of Leicester
You can contact the school on 01295 251451. For subject specific information contact Mr Chris Colville or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Biology AQA A level (7402) Syllabus information can be found at www.aqa.org.uk