Computer Science (A-Level AQA)
Course entry requirements:
English Language, Maths and Science at a grade 5. GCSE Computer Science would be an advantage but not essential – if studied a minimum of grade 6 is needed. Good communication & analytical skills. An interest in computer programming and problem solving. Passionate students not quite meeting these grades should apply for interview with Head of College.
OVERVIEW OF COURSE:
The course is not about programming; you will program, lots, but only as a tool to test and develop problem solving skills and algorithmical thinking. There is an emphasis on abstract thinking, general problem solving, algorithmic and mathematical reasoning.
You can expect to:
• Engage in problem solving, write and use algorithms.
• Learn to write and test programs in high level language, assembly code and functional code..
• Learn about hardware and software, networks and the Internet.
• Understand the ways in which data is represented in a computer system.
• Understand the ethical and legal constraints when using computer systems.
• Use relational databases.
• Understand the system development lifecycle and the needs of a real end user.
COURSE DETAILS AND ASSESSMENT INFORMATION:
On-screen exam: 2 hours 45 minute 40% of A-level. Students answer a series of short questions and write/adapt/extend programs in an Electronic Answer Document provided by the exam board.
This paper tests a student’s ability to answer short-answer and extended-answer questions from subject content in a written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes, 40% of A-level.
The non-exam assessment assesses student’s ability to use the knowledge and skills gained through the course to solve or investigate a practical problem. Students will be expected to follow a systematic approach to problem solving. 75 marks, 20% of A-level.
WHERE CAN THIS COURSE TAKE ME?
Access to the IT industry. Careers related to mathematics, statistics, sciences, analytics, product development, or anything else which requires analytical problem solving skills. University/Higher Education
I CAN FIND OUT MORE INFORMATION BY
Useful Websites http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/computer-science-and-it/as-and-a-level